Thursday, October 18, 2012

Soy Butter & Banana Muffins

I was looking for a balanced, nutritious option for my family's breakfast -- something that I knew was good for them. Well, the only way to really know what you're feeding them is to make it from scratch, right?

I found myself with a few extra minutes this morning so I whipped up these new muffins. I thought they turned out great but the true test was what the munchkins thought. And...they loved them! Sure, it could have been these super-mini, bite-sized muffin cups I found at Target that piqued their interest. But I like to think that, while the portion size and presentation got them interested, the taste made them ask for seconds.
 
 
Below is the recipe...well, actually, recipes. I made half the batch for the kids then mixed in a few extra goodies for the Daddy version. Take a look and, if they sound good to you, give them a try.

Happy Baking!
Soy Butter & Banana Muffins
 
1/2 c wheat pastry flour
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 T chia seeds
1 c quick cooking oats
2 T ground flax seed
1/2 c soy butter (or peanut butter, almond butter, etc.)
1/2 c sugar
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg, lightly beaten
5 T milk
 
Optional add ins: Dark chocolate chips, dried cranberries
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together first six ingredients. Mix in chia seeds, oats and flax.

In a separate, microwave-safe bowl, add soy butter. Microwave for 30 seconds or until it begins to soften. With a fork, mix sugar into soy butter until all of the sugar is absorbed. (Mixture will still be grainy.) Mix in mashed bananas, egg and milk.

Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients in two batches. If adding chocolate chips or dried fruit, mix it in at this point.

Bake for 12-17 minutes, depending on the size of the muffins. They're done when the tops begin to brown.




No comments: