Friday, February 25, 2011

As the Smoothie Blends

Well, I (actually, we...meaning me and my little garbage disposal child) tried another one this morning. It was a hit! Not too sweet, nice and creamy, and quite satisfying. Here's what I threw in the blender*...

1 cup fresh broccoli stems
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup water
1 ripe mango, chopped then frozen
1 ripe banana, chopped then frozen
3 cups fresh spinach
1 6-oz. low fat vanilla yogurt
1 cup crushed ice

Blend the broccoli stems really well with the almond milk and water before adding the other ingredients...unless you like having little chunks of broccoli scattered throughout your smoothie. To each his own.

*I want to give a quick shout out to my parents to thank them (publicly) for the awesome KitchenAid blender they gifted me with. This thing is a beast. It has an 7-cup pitcher, which is perfect for smoothie experimentation. It gives me plenty of room to add more ingredients to make my concoctions palatable. (Note: Vanilla yogurt makes everything taste better. See my post on green smoothies if you need further details.) Anyway, without them and it, my Smoothie Madness would not be nearly as fun or successful. FYI, the model I have: KitchenAid KSB560MC.

Happy Blending!

No comments: