Friday, February 18, 2011

Orange Ya Gonna Try This?

I'm a little gun shy with the green smoothies after my last escapade with the romaine disaster so I thought I'd go orange and try a carrot smoothie. Total success! It's rich and creamy and not overly sweet.

The hubster - a.k.a. the ultimate food critic -thought it was "decent" but too carroty for a non-carrot eater. (He will only eat carrots when they are in fried rice or chicken pot pie. Or, in other words, when they are completely undetectable.) He said he "could drink it but wouldn't choose to if other options were available." Now that's an endorsement if I've ever heard one.

Nevertheless, for those of you that are not frightened by our crunchy little beta-carotene-packed friends...here are the details:

Ingredients


1 can sliced carrots, refrigerated in can then drained
1 banana, sliced then frozen
1 Bartlett pear, chopped then frozen
1 cup apple juice
2 cups almond milk (I'm sure regular milk will work perfectly fine, too)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp powdered ginger (fresh would be lovely, too)
1/2 cup ice

Directions

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add more milk or juice if it's too thick and not blending well. Serves 4 (or one hungry momma and one toddler that will, apparently, eat AN-Y-THING)

This was totally delicious and satisfying. A great way to start the day!

I'm thinking of going on a two-smoothie-a-day meal replacement plan for a week or so to see what it does for me. With that in mind, I'm going to need some smoothie ideas. Let me know what you think I should try. Nothing (well, almost nothing) is off limits so let me hear your ideas!

No comments: