Sunday, September 11, 2011

More Recipe Verdicts

I made peace with turkey and made two more of the recipes on my must-try list. Ironically, neither of these turkey products was ever on the recall list. (Oops.)

Anyway, here are the verdicts:

  1. Open-Faced Turkey Joes - I prepared these when my in-laws were in town. Everyone enjoyed them but I thought they were just OK. I think the sticking point for me was that I used a jar of store-bought spaghetti sauce, which is what the recipe calls for. That is the first jar of sauce I've used in...well, probably two years. And once you get used to your own homemade sauce, it's hard to go back to the jar.

  2. Crustless Smoked Turkey & Spinach Quiche - This was fantastic. Brogan even liked it and he is not usually a fan of things with a quiche-like texture...mainly because he doesn't really dig eggs. We told him it was bread and cheese (which was only a fib on the grounds of excluding the other main ingredient). We ate the quiche for a dinner with a side salad and it was substantial enough to count as a light supper. I don't know that I love the Jennie-O Turkey Ham, though. It has a texture and taste very similar to hot dogs. I'll use ham next time.
So that's it for now. I'll post again when I try the last few recipes. Now that the heat wave has finally broken, these will be on the table soon:
  1. 3-Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine
  2. Fontina & Marscapone Baked Pasta
  3. Make-Ahead Chicken Cornbread Casserole
  4. Pasta with Asparagus, Pancetta & Pine Nuts
  5. Parmesan Polenta & Spicy Sausage.
Mmmm, they are sounding good already!

No comments: