Friday, May 27, 2011

No Repeat Recipes

Every so often I like to challenge myself to a month of No Repeats for dinner. It's a way for me to finally try all of those recipes I've clipped out of a magazine, seen on Food Network or emailed to myself that I honestly want to try but just haven't worked into the Rotation. You know the one. You have 3 or 4 of the same things every other week with maybe a new recipe sprinkled in here or there. At that rate, I'd get to try out these new dishes...um...by the 5th of NEVER. So I suck it up and knock 'em out all in one month. I weed out the crummy ones and keep the keepers and--viola!--my recipe repertoire is expanded.

The last time I did this, though, I didn't plan the entire month out ahead of time and ended up spending a fortune at the grocery store. Good for Kroger. No so much for my budget. This time I'm approaching it a little differently. I'm going to lay out the 30 dinners that I'd like to try and strategically plan to make them when I can get the most bang for my grocery buck. Yes, TLC's "Extreme Couponing" has made me want to be a smarter shopper. C'mon...I'm not the only one that get's excited when boneless chicken breasts go on sale, am I? Or am I? I like to think not.

Anyhoo, these are the new recipes I'm working with for my upcoming Re-Runless Month of Meals.
  1. Open-Faced Turkey Joes
  2. Grilled Balsamic Skirt Steak with Tomato & Vidalia Salad
  3. Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
  4. Crustless Smoked Turkey & Spinach Quiche
  5. Sauteed Chicken with Sage Browned Butter
  6. Pimento Cheese Stuffed Chicken
  7. Chicken Tamale Casserole
  8. Asian Noodles with Chicken and Snow Peas
  9. Roasted Chicken & Bow Tie Pasta Salad
  10. Pasta with Asparagus, Pancetta & Pine Nuts
  11. 3-Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine
  12. Spiced Pork Chops with Apple Chutney
  13. Creamy Corn Soup with Sweet Beer Bread (I plan to try the cheddar-chive variation)
  14. Make-Ahead Chicken Cornbread Casserole
  15. Chicken & Spinach Lasagna
  16. Chicken Tagine
  17. Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers
  18. Lemony Chicken Saltimboca
  19. Hamburger Stroganoff
  20. Fontina & Marscapone Baked Pasta
  21. Maple & Soy-Glazed Flank Steak
  22. Beef Tagine with Butternut Squash
  23. Almond Crusted Chicken Cutlets with Scallion Beurre Blanc Sauce
  24. Parmesan Polenta & (Not-So) Spicy Sausage
  25. Grilled Corn, Squash & Tomato Penne with Ricotta
  26. Hawaiian Ham & Pineapple Kebabs with Grilled Veggies
I'll throw in some of the usual suspects just to make sure I don't get completely burned (or stressed) out. Sometimes it's nice to rely on the no-brainers. I've linked those that are online to their recipe pages. If one of those that are not online sound good to you, hit me up for the recipe. I'll post an update once I've given these a whirl and let you know which ones made the cut for us.

Wish me luck!

No comments: