Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Revelation

We've been trying for weeks now to get Brogan to say "Mommy." As far as baby vocab goes, it's pretty much a staple for kids his age and usually one of the first things they say, right? Not so with our Brogie. He spouts off "Daddy" ALL THE TIME but no "Mommy" to speak of. Never one to hurry him along in any of his stages, I've been OK with it so far. Occasionally, I'd get "Bobby" so we just thought his m's were b's for the time being. I could live with that. Or so I told myself.

Two nights ago during our nightly bedtime book reading, we happened upon a page that has forever frustrated me and exaserbated the "Mommy" issue. There is an illustration of a Mommy and Daddy sleeping. We tried, in vain, to get him to say "Mommy" again but all he would utter was "Daddy." And then...it happened. Jason asked, "Brogan, where's the Mama?" Well, that did it. Something in him clicked. It was like a light went on and he had suddenly discovered what to call me. For the past two days, at least half his words have been "Mama" or "Mamamamama" over and and over again. I love it. It really warms my heart in a I-didn't-know-what-I-was-missing kind of a way. And, more importantly, he seems truly satisfied to have learned my name.

Kids are amazing.

No comments: